A materials scientist position is available at Sonera Magnetics, a Berkeley-based startup developing sensors for non-invasive brain-computer interfaces (BCIs).
Backed by Spark Capital and the U.S. Air Force Research Lab, we’re currently growing our team and looking for a Materials Scientist who will play a significant role in the development of our core sensing technology. See below for more information about the role and who we are!
Role / Responsibilities:
• Sputter several magnetic materials / material stacks on a variety of substrates.
• Perform photolithography and standard cleanroom processing to prepare samples for deposition.
• Characterize material stacks (both internally deposited and from external partners) using standard tools (i.e. VSM, MPMS) and custom systems.
• Analyze data to optimize deposition parameters and to help determine ideal material compositions and layer parameters for Sonera’s sensors.
• Take the lead on materials development efforts by proposing and investigating improvements to current approaches.
• Work directly with our CTO and external partners at the U.S. Air Force Research Lab.
• PhD in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science Engineering, or a related field or 5+ years relevant industry experience.
• Strong understanding of magnetic materials – both theoretical and practical.
• Experience with the following:
- Thin-film deposition, photolithography and cleanroom processing techniques, ideally with magnetic films and film stacks.
- Magnetic characterization tools and techniques.
- Optimization of film stacks – deposition parameters, film thicknesses, film composition, material selection, etc.
• Bonus - experience with multiferroic materials and devices; high frequency magnetic materials characterization (i.e. FMR) and RF electrical measurement techniques; integrating deposited materials with devices to optimize performance of a combined system; troubleshooting high vacuum systems and setting up experimental automation.
Who we are:
• Sonera is co-founded and led by PhDs from UC Berkeley EECS; advised by neurologists from UCSF, commercial advisors at Facebook, and UC Berkeley faculty; and backed by Spark Capital and the U.S. Air Force Research Lab.
• Our goal is to build full-stack technology that integrates both hardware and software innovations for BCIs that can be used in industries ranging from consumer electronics to healthcare.
• Our team values scientific integrity and rigor as well as openly challenging existing ideas and techniques.
• We value the health and wellness of our team and aim to provide ample opportunities for personal and professional growth.
• We offer competitive salaries, stock options and excellent benefits.
Contact email@example.com to meet the team and learn more.